Welcome to the Swifts class information page.
Miss Hannah Allan teaches the Swifts.
Mrs Jane Whitlock and Mrs Thomas support this class.
Welcome back Swifts! Hope you all had a good half term! We have had a great first few days, starting to learn all about life under the sea as well as doing some extra phonics sessions ready for the Phonics screening check 🙂
Here is a summary of what we will be getting up to this half term:
During this half term our topic will be Under the Sea. The Swifts will learn the names of the 4 oceans and locate them on a world map. They will look at the different stages of a sea turtles life as well as learning the names of other living things that live under the sea. Finally, the Swifts will learn about pollution and the affect it has on sea creatures like whales, dolphins and sea turtles.
In Science we will be learning about the Polar Regions. The Swifts will learn about the 2 polar regions, what animals you will find there, where the polar regions are on a world map and what the weather is like there.
In Literacy we will be looking at:
- Information texts – Children will create a fact sheet about an animal that lives under the sea.
Fantasy Stories – Rainbow fish, Billy’s Bucket and Flotsam
Poems – Poems on the oceans and the creatures that live in it.
In Maths we will be focusing on:
- Place Value – Counting forwards and backwards to 100, counting in 2’s, 5’s, 10’s and writing numbers up to 100.
- Capacity/Data – understanding how to read scales, finding out which container holds more/less, estimating and accurate readings.
- Money – adding coins together and giving change.
- Addition and subtraction
- 3D Shapes – revisiting the shapes and their properties
- Fractions – 1/2’s and 1/4’s of a given number of objects and shapes
- Multiplication/Division – e.g. Multiplication: if 1 bag contains 3 apples, how many apples will there be in 5 bags? Division: I have 12 strawberries and want to share them between 4 people. How many strawberries does each person get?
Phonics: Any additional work at home based on the phase 3/4 and 5 sounds would be really beneficial for your child 🙂 As you may or may not be aware the Swifts will be taking part in the Phonics Screening check in June. The phonics screening check is a short, simple test taken by Year 1 children in England each June to assess their reading ability. If you click on the following link it will explain more about the phonics screening check:
Here are some useful websites for your child to use to help them with their sounds:
Here is a link for the past papers that we use in school with the children to familiarise them with the layout and practise those tricky words! www.satspapers.org.uk/Page.aspx?TId=21
There are also loads of apps that you can download from the app store – Mr. Thorne Does Phonics and Zat Phonics are great apps that you can buy. There are also lots of free apps that can be downloaded too – Phonics Genius
PE will be on a Monday and a Wednesday. Please make sure you have: shorts, a T-shirt, jogging bottoms and a jumper/hoodie as well as trainers! Girls please make sure your hair is tied back on these days.
Homework and Spellings- Homework and spellings are set on a Tuesday and are due in the following Tuesday. You will have a spelling book and a homework book to do your work in.
Reading: Please spend 5 minutes a day reading with your child – it makes such a big difference!! 🙂
Miss Allan Useful links to websites for the Swifts will also be added here.
[page updated 2/11/2017]
Spaldwick School where everyday is a chance to LEARN and SUCCEED