Welcome to the Swifts class information page.
Miss Hannah Allan teaches the Swifts.
Mrs Jane Whitlock and Mrs Thomas support this class.
Welcome back Swifts! Hope you all had a good half term and had fun building your castles! I am looking forward to seeing them on Tuesday! 🙂
Here is a summary of what we will be getting up to this half term:
During this half term our topic will be Castles- One of Miss Allan’s favourite topics! We will investigate the following questions (What are the features of a castle? Who built castles? Who lived in castles?). I am also planning a castle day where we can all dress up as either Kings, Queens, Knights or any other castle themed person and take part in lots of castle activities! 🙂
In Science we will be learning about Space. Here are some of the things we will be finding out:
- What are the names of the planets in our solar system?
- What order do they go in?
- What is the solar system?
- What is the sun?
- Who has been to space?
- How do people get to space?
In Literacy we will be looking at:
- Humorous Poems – we will be reading and enjoying poems such as: Where Teachers Keep Their Pets, Make a Face and Peter Piper.
- Information Texts – We will be reading the following texts: Night Animals, Owls and The Owl and the night. We will look at features of non fiction texts and having a go at writing our own piece of non fiction.
- Traditional Tales – we will be reading the following texts: Dragon Dinosaur, The house that Jack built and Anancy and Mr Dry-Bone. After we have read these stories we will look at sequencing them, writing descriptive sentences with the correct punctuation and by the end of the 2 weeks the Swifts will write their own traditional tale.
In Maths we will be focusing on:
- Lengths – measuring objects with cubes and rulers.
- Capacity/Data – understanding how to read scales, finding out which container holds more/less, estimating and accurate readings.
- Money – adding coins together
- Addition and subtraction
- 3D Shapes – revisiting the shapes and their properties
Phonics: Any additional work at home based on the phase 3/4 and 5 sounds would be really beneficial for your child 🙂 As you may or may not be aware the Swifts will be taking part in the Phonics Screening check in June. The phonics screening check is a short, simple test taken by Year 1 children in England each June to assess their reading ability. If you click on the following link it will explain more about the phonics screening check:
Here are some useful websites for your child to use to help them with their sounds:
Here is a link for the past papers that we use in school with the children to familiarise them with the layout and practise those tricky words! www.satspapers.org.uk/Page.aspx?TId=21
There are also loads of apps that you can download from the app store – Mr. Thorne Does Phonics and Zat Phonics are great apps that you can buy. There are also lots of free apps that can be downloaded too – Phonics Genius
PE will be on a Monday and a Wednesday. Please make sure you have: shorts, a T-shirt, jogging bottoms and a jumper/hoodie as well as trainers! Girls please make sure your hair is tied back on these days.
Homework and Spellings- Homework and spellings are set on a Tuesday and are due in the following Tuesday. You will have a spelling book and a homework book to do your work in.
Reading: Please spend 5 minutes a day reading with your child – it makes such a big difference!! 🙂
Miss Allan Useful links to websites for the Swifts will also be added here.
[page updated 2/11/2017]
Spaldwick School where everyday is a chance to LEARN and SUCCEED